Amazed by God's Word

     This past week was so sweet. I have had a break from classes and teaching during the Spring Break at UA. I went to Birmingham, Pensacola, and then back to Tuscaloosa where I started. I got to spend time with friends and family in all of these places, but what I loved most about the week was how I got to have a few slow mornings spent with the Lord. They were slow because I did not rush it in any way as I typically do. I let myself soak in every word that God was speaking to me. As I prayed, listened, and read, I was reminded of a few truths that I want to hold on to as I begin a new week of the semester. 



    From these extended times in God's presence and a little book on God's will, I've come to be more thankful for the word of God. In 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Paul wrote, "all scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work," and to that I respond with, "Praise the Lord!" Wow, what a blessing it is to be able to read and meditate on the word of God that guides us and teaches us throughout the joys and trials of life. 

    Specifically, from the little book on God's will, "Found: God's Will," by John MacArthur, I am hoping to hold on to the truth that God has shown us his will for us through his holy word. In this book, it pointed to scripture as evidence that God's will for us is to be saved, spirit-filled, sanctified, submissive, and suffering. Once we are within his will in those areas, we can know that he will give us godly desires to lead lives that are within his will. We don't need to worry about the tiny details so much as the fundamentals of what he desires for us. This has been strangely comforting to me, even though I find myself wanting to know those tiny details. I think that we can get too caught up in those details, failing to understand that God has already told us what it is that he desires for us. We just need to familiarize ourselves with his ways and commands in the Bible. What has also been comforting to me is this verse in 2 Peter 3:19: "The Lord is not slow to keep his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." This was one of the verses emphasized in the book, and I've made it my personal memory verse. My thoughtful neighbor, Sara, gave me the little book and, I am thankful that she shared it with me because it was surprisingly refreshing for my soul. 

    Right now, not only am I thinking about the next week of school ahead of me, but the fact that I now have seven weeks left of college... (Thank you, Josiah, for that shocking reality check) Moving forward, I crave to hold tight to God's promises. My plan is to set aside time to listen to the Lord, read his word, and talk with him. I also want to think less of what I am uncertain of, and more of the treasure of the Lord's precepts and ways, which are revealed to me in the Bible. 

~Kthnxbai!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Fundraising Journey

A Community through the Navigators

Una Nueva Aventura en España