My Helper

    This past week, I took the opportunity to lead a bible study for a group of middle school girls at Student Life Camp, where my youth group form Birmingham was surrounded by God's word and friends at Shocco Springs in Talladega, Alabama. Throughout the week, we discussed the trinity: God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Distinct parts. But all one. I have realized that of the three parts of the trinity, the Holy Spirit has been the hardest part for me to understand. But it was amazing to me that I really sensed the Holy Spirit this week, and I also began to have a greater sense of gratitude for the Holy Spirit. 




    As followers of Jesus, we have the Holy Spirit to guide us and strengthen us. His power is made perfect in our weakness. This is such comfort to me because there are many times when I see that I can't make it on my own. I am glad that I can depend on Him for confidence in His power. John 16:13 says, "But when he, the Spirit of truth, come, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come." Before Jesus ascended to heaven, he assured his disciples that they would have his Spirit to guide and comfort them. 

    This week, when I felt exhausted from little sleep, nervous about leading well, and nervous when speaking in front of a crowd, I sensed the presence of the Holy Spirit. In the little things throughout the week and the big challenges, I know that God was with me. He gave me the words to say and peace for the moments. During our final bible study time, we talked about different synonyms for the Holy Spirit. Helper. Counselor. Advocate. One of my favorite moments was at the end of recreation on Thursday. I never thought I would find myself crying for a joyful reason on a rec field for Student Life, but the stories of the students that came gave me such joy and courage. The rec leader opened up the floor to the Life Group leaders. Without much hesitation, I got up and shared that even though I don't like speaking in front of a lot of people, I was so encouraged and inspired by everyone else's courage and passion for Jesus. I also encouraged them to continue to lean into the Holy Spirit and where He leads them. Listen and follow. He always provides just what we need for where He is leading us. 

My Life Group Girls
The last day of rec!
Students sharing their stories at rec


    I look back to the past week and think, "If he came through at camp, wouldn't he come through for everything else I am worried about?" Wow, my God is so good. So big & powerful. So kind & loving. Even though the trinity can be such a mystery, I think it is neat that it works that way because us pushes us to depend on him. How could we depend on him if we already understood how it all works? As our speaker, Brent Crowe, said in the final worship session, "Because God always keeps his word, we can live in confidence that he will make all things new." How sweet it is to trust in Jesus! 

Luke and I got to have lunch at our favorite place after the long week. It was fun to talk about the week together. 

~Kthnxbai!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Fundraising Journey

A Community through the Navigators

Una Nueva Aventura en España