A Community through the Navigators

     I got to spend a few days in the Tuscaloosa/ Northport area last week. There were many sweet things about my time there, but it is evident that the highlight was my time with the Navigators International Ministry. We had our first dinner of the semester, and a welcome party a couple days later. It was so good to have conversations with old and new friends. Throughout the past few years, I have had the opportunity to serve international students alongside an awesome team, which I will miss so much over the next few months while I am in Spain. 

The students and team at the welcome party

    One of my favorite things about my time with the Navigators has been the students. It has been such a blessing to meet international students from countries all over the world. I get to learn about their culture and learn about the exciting ins and outs of what they come to the university to study. These students are so smart, and even more passionate about their research and studies. I love to ask them how they got interested in what they study because there is always a unique story behind it. The Lord has taught me that serving these students is such a rich opportunity. I have realized that I can serve these friends in ways that I would have never thought about. A simple trip to Walmart can be so helpful when you don't have your own car in this new country that doesn't feel like home yet. Just being a friend brings a smile to one's face in the midst of the stress of research and adjusting to living in a new country. Even help with pronunciation and grammar can be nice to have. I have been there before. I was a student in Spain for a few months. I tasted what it is like to be in a new country. I want to love these students in the small and big ways because I hope for them to know that they are loved, which can be hard for them in their new environment. 

I have also really enjoyed serving with Josiah. We love getting to know these friends together and planning events together too. He is excited for this semester, which he will actually be in the country for, because each year is a new group with different personalities joining us with old friends, which makes for a new adventure. I have loved being able to understand his heart for God and people more through this ministry. He is so sweet and passionate. We are going to miss preparing food together and going to meet with people for the Navigator events while I’m in Spain. 
Having dinner and good conversations at the welcome party

We played "I Have Never" (A variation of Never Have I Ever remixed with Musical Chairs).

    One thought I have had in the past few days is just how much I will miss this community I have found in Tuscaloosa. Everyone has been so kind and sweet in their goodbye wishes to me for my journey to Spain. We all enjoyed each other's presence and friendship while playing games and sharing laughter. I've reflected on God's goodness in providing this community for me and for these students. During the welcome party, we heard a message about true wisdom, as the author of Proverbs discusses. I have come to know that true wisdom is knowing of God's goodness. His love. And his holiness. And standing in awe of him in all his glory. While I won't be able to spend time with the Navigators as I have been, I will be praying that each of the students would come to know this wisdom. 

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding" Proverbs 9:10

~Kthnxbai!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Fundraising Journey

Una Nueva Aventura en España