Hope Part 2: Community

  

  My brother, Luke, and I got to go to a concert in Huntsville this week! We stayed an extra day to explore the city a little bit. It was a really fun opportunity to explore Huntsville and to spend time with each other. The concert was a part of the Hope tour because of NF's latest album, so I was thinking a lot about hope. Throughout the trip, I was reminded of the importance of community.

    We went to see NF perform, whose music is raw and vulnerable, allowing us to see that we actually aren't alone in our struggles, whatever they may be. I discovered NF's upbeat and authentic music when I started running in the mornings during the summer of my senior year of high school. I shared one of my favorite songs, "Outcast", with Luke one time, but it wasn't until a few years later that he began listening to his music much more than I do. NF's music discusses what most people won't sing or rap about, let alone talk about. His lyrics are about his struggle with depression, the pressure of living up to people's expectations, and his insecurities. 

    As I listened to Luke and other fans singing and rapping along with Nate, I felt thankful for the community we can run to so we can be reminded of the hope we have in Jesus Christ. What made me realize this was the fact that there were hundreds of people singing these feelings and thoughts that are rarely shared with people. There's something so uniquely sweet about this kind of music. Towards the middle of our time at the concert, I noticed that there was a guy around Luke's age getting almost as passionate and excited about the music as Luke was. They would both guess the songs right before they truly started. At the end of the concert, which we didn't see coming until it was over, Luke turned around, still wearing his expression of shock and awe that the spectacular show was over. The guy I had noticed asked Luke what he thought about the show. Luke responded with his excitement and slight disappointment that it was over. From there, we introduced ourselves and talked about how we knew about NF. We talked about how Luke wants to write stories as a career, and I was encouraged that our new friend, Andrew, reminded him to put his trust in God. I thought, "YES!" but said something a little less enthusiastically, so I wouldn't sound too weird and nerdy. We walked away from talking with Andrew and his family who was with him thinking, "Wow, that was really cool." Meeting Andrew. The concert. So cool. Wow.

    I also found this reminder in the days after the concert while exploring Huntsville. We went a couple of time to this place our mom suggested that we check out in Huntsville called The Stove House. It caught my attention that this outdoor hangout area was created with the intention of being a place for people to gather together in community. There are restaurants, open patio areas with tables, benches, and swings, and events scheduled such as trivia night. We found that there were free dance lessons one night when we were there. We got there 30 minutes late, but Luke walked in anyway, so I followed him, inspired by his excitement to dance with people. As we learned the dance with about 50 people, and then danced to the music, I could feel the joy of all of us as we moved to the beat and let go of our worries for the moment. I saw it from the smile on Luke's face and the variations in everyone's moves as they made the line dance their own. In the past years, I have thought a lot about how good it is to just drop everything and dance every now and then, but it is also so good to dance with other people in community, sharing the joy of dancing. 

Second night. The sunset outside the stove house.

Learning the dance steps
Milkshakes after dancing
Oscar Moon's Shakes! 

    God made us to be in community. It can be hard. It can be messy. But it is good. I think of the verse that comes after the one I shared in Hope Part 1(https://enasombro.blogspot.com/2023/07/hope.html

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another- and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:24-25 
    This is God's intention for us in community. For us to encourage one another with our words and actions, loving each other the way Jesus loves us. I'm thankful for this trip Luke and I took to Huntsville. I loved going to Monte Sano State Park, discovering cool restaurants and places, going to the NF concert, touring The University of Alabama at Huntsville, and just talking and being silly with him. I'm thankful to the Lord that he gave me Luke so that we could be in community with each other again. It has certainly been crazy, yet sweet to navigate life together and encourage each other.

We're a little obsessed with Little Free Libraries.
This one has succulents on top of it! I love it! : )
Beginning the hike at Monte Sano State Park
The view at the top
Gary the Snail sliding across a rock! 
And so we made it! Ha! I can read a map! What?? No, we didn't get lost...
Drawing the awesome view

~Kthnxbai!










Comments

  1. You're cute.
    Monte Santo is an awesome place with so many cool rocks, especially Panther Knob (my favorite).
    And your thankfulness is wonderful; it helps me be thankful too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Fundraising Journey

A Community through the Navigators

Una Nueva Aventura en España